Monday, January 2, 2012

MOPS craft turned Christmas presents

For our December MOPS craft I decided to have the ladies make painted plates.
I liked this activity so much that I actually bought more paint and plates just for myself and made Christmas presents with it!!!

I got the original idea from WhiMSy love: Tutorial...or Not Tutorial

So I made a couple of examples, drew out some sketches for ideas, and let the ladies choose what they wanted. 
My ideas were to make a Cookies for Santa plate since it was December but I also shared the idea of a Happy Birthday plate, or Happy Birthday Jesus plate.


I wish I would have taken pictures of all the steps but I didn't and you can head on over to WhiMSy love for a bettter picture tutorial.

You will need:  a clear glass plate, you paint on the back and your design shows through
                       enamel paint
                       alchohol
                       paint brushes and a dry erase marker

This is the paint I used



Step one:  Soak your plates in warm water to remove the stickers.

Step two:  Clean the surface you are going to paint with alchohol.  I bought alchohol wipes for my MOPS group which made it much easier and one wipe was more then enough for two or even three plates.

Step three:  Choose a design.  I sketched my designs in my sketch book and chose one I was happy with.  I also sketched several on printer paper for ladies at the meeting.

Step four:  Thank goodness for WhiMSy love for this idea.  On the front of your plate draw your design with dry erase marker.  When you turn it over to paint the design will show through plus it make is sooo much easier to do your lettering.

Step five:  Now it's time to paint.  You need to decide what features you want in front, like faces, or sprinkles on a cupcake.  Paint those features first, let them dry then you can add the next layer.  Paint in thin layers.  They may look streaky at first but paint a layer, let it dry, then add another layer.  The thinner the layers you paint the fast they will dry!!

Finally:  Let it cure.  You can either just let it sit for 21 days or cure it in your oven.  Put the plate in your oven paint side up.  Turn the oven to 325, time 20 minutes then turn the oven off.  Leave the plates in the oven with the door shut until they cool. 

I think I've found a new hobby I love coming up with new designs, I love my stick figure designs.

This one is for Grandpa.  It is all the Great-Grandchildren and I had so much fun trying to make each figure resemble all the kids. 


This one is for my mom's book club!


and this one was for my mother-in-law.  I tried to make a fancy hat that swoops down in front of the face covering one of the eyes (didn't come out exactly how I visualized it)

No comments:

Post a Comment